Welcome to ProvenWrite | Italian to English Translations
ProvenWrite’s Wendell Ricketts has been a working Italian-to-English translator since 1998. In addition to literally hundreds of product catalogs, web sites, tourist brochures, and other texts in a wide variety of fields, he is the translator of Communicating Success: Public Relations with an Italian Flair (Tiziana Rocca, 2007); The Wrong Door: The Complete Plays of Natalia Ginzburg (U. Toronto Press, 2008); The Naples Chef Cooks: Pasta & First Courses—51 Italian Recipes (Sergio Corbino, 2008); Trilobites: The Back To The Past Museum Guide (Enrico Bonino & Carlo Kier, 2010); Olive Oil and the Mediterranean (Carlo Solito, 2006); Woman Bites Dog: The Mafia’s War on Italian Women Journalists (Informant, 2013); and other publications. He has also translated four books as yet unpublished in English: Generations of Love (novel, Matteo B. Bianchi); 20 Cigarettes in Nasiriyah (memoir, Francesco Trento & Aureliano Amadei); Cher, Upon a Midnight Clear (a “Christmas tale,” Matteo B. Bianchi); and Around Three O’Clock (novel, Andrej Longo). View samples of his translations here.
He is experienced in the translation, editing, and revision of:
- technical manuals for the manufacturing and building trades;
- legal documents, including contracts, correspondence, leases, etc.;
- marketing and publicity/promotional materials, including newsletters and websites, for use by museums, hotels and convention centers, restaurants and wineries, and other tourist destinations;
- CVs, university documents and transcripts, certificates, letters of presentation;
- TV scripts and subtitling (animation, children’s programming, and documentaries, among others);
- fiction, theatrical texts and poetry;
- and a wide range of materials in the areas of finance, politics, art, medicine, architecture, the humanities, and the sciences for clients from the business, manufacturing, entertainment, academic, and private sectors.
He holds a Master’s degree in English Language & Literature/Creative Writing, and his own work has been published in more than 60 books, magazines, and newspapers, as well as online.
- Member, Sindacato Traduttori Editoriali (STradE).
- Winner, 2000 PEN American Center Renato Poggioli Translation Award for translation from Italian.
- Master’s degree in English language and literature with specialty in creative writing.
- Certified in Italian at the C2 (Mastery) Level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CERF) by the Università per Stranieri (University for Foreigners), Perugia, Italy, 2010.
- Experienced instructor of English language and literature, computer-skills, Business English and Writing for Business.
- More than twenty years experience in the writing of fiction and nonfiction, book and magazine publishing and editing, proofreading, preparation of copy for publication, desktop and ‘zine publishing.
Translations prepared for (names are provided solely for the purpose of describing the scope of my work):
Accademia del Lusso, Animundi Cartoon Studio, Atlante Libri, Borgo La Bagnaia, Cartoline.it, Centro per l’Arte Contemporanea Luigi Pecci; Cioccolato Amedei Tuscany, Conceria Superior SpA, Concreta/DIESIS SrL, DMR Consulting Group, DisneyItalia, ExclusivePianos/Laura de Nadai, Effepimarmi, ExclusivePianos/Laura de Nadai, Fabrica (Benetton), FederParchi, FederTerme, Fila Industria Chimica, InformaAzione/Edizioni 3P, Garfloor/Gardenia Group, Gazzotti SpA, Gruppo Conciario Vecchia Toscana SpA, Gruppo Industrie del Mobile (GIMO), Hildegard von Bingen Women’s Chorus, Huhnseal SrL, InterPuls, Italian Pavilion-Expo Zaragoza 2008, Lettieri/MFL SrL, Luca Sossella Editore, Luoghi Speciali/Assisi Resort SrL, Mapei SpA, Mariner Rubinetterie, MARKAUDIO/Parsek SrL, Max Mara, Marella Ferrera, Meccanotecnica Umbra, Mirage Granito Ceramico SpA, Mod’…Art Cucine, Mosaicfilm.com, Muracel SrL, Museo del Legno (Ponsacco), NoemaLife Group, PosteItaliane, Powergres, The Queimada Agency, RAI Television, the “Ritorno al Barocco: Da Caravaggio a Vanvitelli” exhibition (Naples), Rosa Chà, Signorini & Coco Mobili d’Arte, Sistema Museale Med-Aniene, SoluCorp Industries, Spoleto52-Festival dei 2 Mondi, Studio Soligo Arte Contemporanea, Tegola Canadese, XTEL SrL, Z. Bavelloni SpA
Read the article “My Philosophy of Translation.”